Friday 6 May 2011

Two things down... two thousand to go!

So I found the perfect wedding venue (or my Mum did, to be perfectly honest), and I have my dress. I'd go so far as to say that they're probably the two biggest things to get sorted; everything else feels like I just have to do it, rather than decide on it. I already have in mind what I want the day to be like, it's just finding the things that will make it happen. Finding is easy when the internet was like your left arm growing up. Always there, not always useful. Anyway, let's end that analogy there shall we?

So, venue. It's a relatively local sustainability project called R.E.N.E.W., which is located just outside Newbridge, Powys, on the way to Rhayader. One of my Mum's friends actually runs it, and while they were all sat around talking about my wedding plans (as you do) he suggested the project for the venue. They already do various fĂȘtes and celebration-type things, but never a wedding before.
Anyway, to describe it, it's basically a Victorian walled-garden, the top half of which is dedicated to growing organic food, while the bottom half is the clear ground for the marquee and fire pit, with plenty of space to run around in. You can get through a hole in the wall on one side, where you come out onto a path that either runs left through a forest, straight on to a river or around to the right to another (more beautiful) forest walk which takes you to a Victorian ornamental pond. He's said I'm more than welcome to decorate it however I like, with bunting and lanterns etc. The only reservation is sky lanterns if it's been particularly dry, as he doesn't want to cause a forest fire. Which is fine, because there's a river for water lanterns if I choose to do something like that.

I'm excited, I hope you can tell! And the best part- well, not the best part, but a good part considering our minuscule budget- is that because it's a not-for-profit, charity-run site, he's not charging me my soul for it. I really recommend looking into other things like this if you know of anyone else getting married.

My dress is beautiful. I'm not going to share any more about it because it's a secret! Shhhh! Well, only a secret to Liam.

So that leaves quite a few other things to do, like book the registry office (no church wedding for us heathens) and get pretty things to decorate venue and people. Currently searching Ebay for floral bunting and the likes, but Etsy will definitely get more than it's fair share of use I imagine. Especially now Paypal have made it easier to pay for things. I hate Paypal.

I also need some wedding invitations making... but an idea of designs would be useful first.

No comments:

Post a Comment